Date:      02 Jul 1995 18:26:54 GMT
From:      djnowak@pop.com (David Nowak)
To:        jkh@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with Seagate Drive

I would like to run FreeBSD on my 386 system and have been informed
that you have written a Seagate SCSI driver for FreeBSD that may be
compatible with it.  I have ftped version 2.0.5 of the root.flp and
bindist of FreeBSD 2.0.5 RELEASE.  Apparently Drew Eckhardt
(drew@colorado.edu) has written a Seagate ST01/Future Domain TMC-885
compatible Linux driver which I have been using with Linux for several
months now.  Do you use the same driver for FreeBSD 2.0.5?  If so,
why can't I use it from the boot.flp disk?

I have a Future Domain TMC-885M SCSI controller card (IRQ 5, memory
address jumper at 0xC8000 and ROM BIOS 950 AT v8.00) and a Quantum P80
hard drive.  When I start up from the boot disk to install FreeBSD 2.0.5,
the PARTITION submenu item of the INSTALL menu does not recognize my FD
card.  When I rebooted my system and type "-c" to enter the userconfig
mode, and type in "probe SEA0" I get the following error messages:

Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernal mode
fault virtual address        = 0x0
fault code                   = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer          = 0x8:0f01130f6
code segment                 = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                             = DPL 0, pres 1, def 32 1, gran 1
processor eflags             = resume, IOPL = 0
current process              = 0 ()
interrupt mask               = net tty bio
panic: page fault
hit reset please

Jordan,
   Do you have any workarounds for me to get past this roadblock?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.

David Nowak
djnowak@pop.com