Date:      Wed, 26 Nov 2008 19:53:03 +0100
From:      Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
To:        Michael <freebsdusb@bindone.de>
Cc:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Device IDs for HP hs2300 HSDPA modem

On Wednesday 26 November 2008, Michael wrote:
> Sorry, this contains some off-topic questions, maybe you have answers
> anyway...
>
> Hans Petter Selasky wrote:

> >> When? I have a 10 day old checkout here, and the sierra wireless device
> >> appears in core/usbdevs, include/usb2_devid.h include/usb2_devtable.h
> >> and serial/ugensa2.c. Any hint were to find details about what to put
> >> where (seems like amoving target :)
> >
> > Do you have serial/u3g2.c ?
> >
> > --HPS
>
> Nope. I used csup to get HEAD on the 15th. CVSWeb says that u3g2.c has
> been checked in 33 hours ago. I would assume that using cvs isn't really
> recommended for current anymore. What is the best way to follow current
> nowadays (SVN/perforce)? My problem is, that I'm actually performing
> work on this machine, so I'm not too keen to upgrade constantly (but I
> required current for various devices) and usb1 works okay right now. So
> maybe somebody can just bring in the devive ids into current that are
> proven to work in USB1 (which works okay for me right now), since
> obviously I'm not authorized to submit changes anyway - if I have some
> extra time  I might checkout the usb2 changes of the last couple of
> weeks and test if it actually works  with this device entry and report
> back to you. Who is repsonsible for checking in the patches to usb1?

Hi Michael,

I think SVN is more up to date. Just give it some time and CVS will be updated
aswell.

> Btw, are there any advantages of using USB2 in terms of power management
> on a laptop (even with no external devices attached)?

Not yet. Probably I will add some simple power management support after
new-year. Be aware that many USB devices have broken suspend/resume support
and can fail, so leaving the power on is sometimes better.

When no devices are attached, I am going to add support so that the HC is
turned off. That will save some power.

Remember that suspend/resume cycles introduce extra latency getting the system
up and running again.

> (this might
> actually motivate me to play a little bit more with it - right now the
> overall power consumption is about 40% higher compared to using products
> made in  Redmond).

> I'm also developing a special acpi driver for HP
> machines right now I will most likely submit in a few weeks. Do you
> think it is appropriate to submit this to freebsd-acpi for review?

Yes, and CC "Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>"

--HPS