Date:      Sat, 14 Aug 2010 04:40:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mark Terribile <materribile@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   CD burning woes, redux

Hi,

My CD burning woes continue.  I've replaced a power supply that was
almost certainly marginal (kernel page fault failures during fsck on
two drives at once, but not on one at a time) and put a brand new
SATA DVD burner on the machine (LITE-ON iHAS124-04).

uname -a reports

FreeBSD silver.local 7.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE #5: Thu May 20 09:45:44 EDT 2010     toor@silver.local:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SMP-GONDOLIN  i386

Power supply is a new 400W Rosewill; MB is by Asus, processor is a
Core 2 Quad running at (I think) 2.25 GHz.  (It's under 2.3.)  I
added an MSI GeForce video card (X doesn't want to run on the mobo
video).  There are two SATA disks, both 7200 RPM and neither in
service for very long.  (I only buy 5-year-warranty drives.)  They
are in a carrier with a fan and are cool to the touch.  The processor
cores run between 49 and 57 C; the NB chip has a big copper heat sink
with an 8 CFM fan; HS is warm at the bottom and cool at the top.

This worked a few weeks ago, when I burned about forty of these
"Archival Gold" disks.  cdrecord -v reports that they have the
same chemistry and write strategy as the TDK cheapies.

I've tried with both atapi/cdburn and atapicam/cdrecord.  I've tried
with both TDK CDs and the expensive archival-grade discs I'm trying
to burn.  The operation pauses for a very long time, the activity
LED on the drive flashes, and I get console messages thus:

Aug 14 07:03:50 silver kernel: acd0: TIMEOUT - WRITE_BIG retrying (1 retry left)
Aug 14 07:03:50 silver kernel: acd0: WARNING - TEST_UNIT_READY freeing taskqueue zombie request
Aug 14 07:03:51 silver kernel: acd0: WARNING - TEST_UNIT_READY taskqueue timeout - completing request directly
Aug 14 07:03:51 silver kernel: acd0: WARNING - TEST_UNIT_READY freeing taskqueue zombie request
Aug 14 07:04:31 silver kernel: acd0: WARNING - unknown CMD (0x4a) taskqueue timeout - completing request directly
Aug 14 07:04:31 silver kernel: acd0: WARNING - unknown CMD (0x4a) freeing taskqueue zombie request
Aug 14 07:04:51 silver kernel: acd0: WARNING - TEST_UNIT_READY taskqueue timeout - completing request directly
Aug 14 07:04:51 silver kernel: acd0: WARNING - TEST_UNIT_READY freeing taskqueue zombie request
Aug 14 07:08:13 silver kernel: acd0: WARNING - TEST_UNIT_READY taskqueue timeout - completing request directly
Aug 14 07:08:52 silver kernel: acd0: TIMEOUT - WRITE_BIG retrying (1 retry left)
Aug 14 07:08:52 silver kernel: acd0: WARNING - TEST_UNIT_READY freeing taskqueue zombie request
Aug 14 07:08:53 silver kernel: acd0: WARNING - TEST_UNIT_READY taskqueue timeout - completing request directly
Aug 14 07:08:53 silver kernel: acd0: WARNING - TEST_UNIT_READY freeing taskqueue zombie request
Aug 14 07:09:33 silver kernel: acd0: WARNING - unknown CMD (0x4a) taskqueue timeout - completing request directly
Aug 14 07:09:33 silver kernel: acd0: WARNING - unknown CMD (0x4a) freeing taskqueue zombie request

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Sometimes it makes it to the end of the disk, more often with the
cheap disks that with the $2.00-to-burn-a-coaster archival disks.

I get about the same messages whether using atapi or atapicam.

I have had the whole machine lock up twice.  Once it was apparently
a disk system lockup; I could get prompts but nothing would run.  It
freed up, apparently after something was run, the other time it
stopped responding to the console keyboard in any way and nothing
moved on the display.

The drive seems to only want to write at speed 48.  Using
cdrecord speed=0 (use slowest available) is runs at the same 48
that it runs at with no speed= .

I will be grateful for any suggestions.

    Mark Terribile
    materribile@yahoo.com