Date:      Wed, 8 Mar 2000 13:32:20 +0100
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai@freebsd.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   rc.sysctl

Hi STABLE-lovers,

I just finished the MFC'ing of the rc.sysctl stuff from CURRENT which
enables you to set sysctl values in /etc/sysctl.conf and have those
values be set at boot time through the rc.sysctl.

This means that you would do best to remove all you local sysctl
settings from rc.local or /usr/local/etc/rc.d or wherever you put them,
and migrate them to the /etc/sysctl.conf functionality.  There's a
manpage, sysctl.conf(5) which would be sufficient documentation.

You probably need mergemaster to install the rc.sysctl in /etc, or
obviously copy it by hand.

Please inform me if anything goes wrong, I tested everything here and
you shouldn't experience any problems.

Kind regards,

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven          Network- and systemadministrator
<asmodai@bart.nl>                      VIA NET.WORKS The Netherlands