Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2001 11:06:45 -0400
From:      Matt Penna <mdp1261@rit.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BIND9

At 10:52 AM 10/10/01 -0400, you wrote:
>By default, BIND 9 installs itself in the /usr/local tree.  You have three
>choices; when running the configure for BIND 9, specify --prefix=/usr ,
>which should overwrite at least some of the BIND 8 binaries (some
>locations have still changed, though), or remove/rename the old binaries,
>or just use full paths.  You'll find your BIND 9 binary in
>/usr/local/sbin/named.  It won't look at your configuration in /etc/namedb
>unless you've specified --local-state-dir=/etc/namedb in the configure,
>though.  Hope this helps.

As I am also in the middle of setting up BIND9 on one of my machines, this
is an important point for me, as well.

Isn't it sufficient to simply specify the path to the new named binary by
setting the 'named_program' field in /etc/rc.conf? (E.g.,
named_program="/usr/local/sbin/named") If not, I've learned something new,
yet again.

         Matt

--
Matt Penna        soba@usagiyojimbo.com        mdp1261@rit.edu
ICQ: 399825                                     S0ba on AOLIM