Date:      Fri, 16 Jan 1998 11:33:49 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Das Devaraj <das@netcom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is FreeBSD UNIX?

On Thu, Jan 15, 1998 at 01:44:02PM -0800, Das Devaraj wrote:
> (This is _reluctantly_ sent to freeBSD-isp also, in case the
>  commercial folks - ISPs - see it in a different light).

I've taken them off again.  Maybe they will, but I don't see how they
can.

> Can I _legally_ claim that my box running FreeBSD is UNIX?

No.

> Or should it phrased that the OS is a _UNIX clone_.

No.  It's not a clone.  It's a UNIX derivative and contains much of
the same source code that runs in UNIX System V.

> Note that this has nothing to do with the actual power of FreeBSD.
> What happened after the UNIX name was bought from AT&T by Novell (is
> it public domain now?)

UNIX is currently a registered trade mark of The Open Group.  See
http://www.rdg.opengroup.org/public/tech/unix/trademark.html for more
details.

> Also is there a minimum set of functionality that needs to be
> supported before something is considered UNIX or even a UNIX clone?
> Have heard terms like UNIX 95, X/Open branding etc. tossed around.

Correct.  There are such names, and they have some minimum (they must
be *very* minimum) requirements, but I don't know what they are.  IMO,
there are three reasons why FreeBSD hasn't applied for this kind of
branding:

1.  It's all hype (see below)
2.  It costs a lot of money.
3.  There are probably some minor areas where FreeBSD would not
    comply, and where the FreeBSD team considers non-compliance to be
    superior.

Those of you who have been around UNIX for a while will know that all
through the 80's, 4.xBSD was the leading edge of UNIX development, and
that *all* current UNIX implementations (which effectively means
System V) contain large parts of almost unchanged BSD code.  With this
background, which of these systems may *not* be called UNIX 95?

 UNIX System V
 4.4BSD
 Microsoft NT
 IBM OS/390 (formerly MVS)

The answer is: 4.4BSD.  The suits have disowned the very version of
UNIX which made it what it is today.  Since they also allowed such
obviously non-UNIX systems as NT and OS/390 to be called UNIX, I don't
think any of us care too much.

Greg