Date:      Wed, 4 Dec 1996 22:31:02 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, fenner@parc.xerox.com, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports INDEX browser update

Jordan K. Hubbard stands accused of saying:

> Heh.  This is where you will probably fall over kicking spastically,
> like a cockroach that's just been sprayed with a noxious substance
> (not that I am otherwise comparing you to an annoying household insect
> which feeds on grease :-).

(Mike quickly wipes his hands and shoves the rest of the chips out of
sight; "me? grease? never!" 8)

> The emulation is entirely programmable, using a little stack-based
> language (called "IOP") which eats terminal escape sequences and
> generates operation requests for the canvas widget.  It reads the
> emulation "program" from the X resource database, and in this way a
> full VT220 emulator is provided.  We didn't like the idea that xterm's
> vt100 emulation was hardcoded, so I designed a little language for
> it. :-)

Oooh, after I got caught up in a C vs. Forth flamewar in
comp.arch.embedded, do I want my name anywhere near a stack-based
language?  8)  Still, it sounds like ripping the interpreter and
the script out and handling the canvas events with a text widget
might just be the way to go.  How fine is the event granularity?
(single characters only, or are there bigger primitives?)

> If you're actually interested in figuring this out, and it's not
> nearly as complex as it sounds, I'll be happy to provide any and all
> technical assistance.  It's in /usr/ports/x11/emu in case you missed
> the location earlier.

Mike types 'emu' in the PIB search dialog, discards 'cpmemu' as probably
not being the one, hits 'emu-1.3.1'.  Hmm. "Maintainer : me@FreeBSD.org".
A search for "me@" gets me xemacs, seyon, emu, fvwm and mmv...

Ah well, humour is subjective 8)  Still, sounds like the way to go,
even though it's going to be a bit of a diversion.  Speaking of widgets
and diversions, here's one that wasted me an hour tonight :

> wish4.1
% listbox .foo
% pack .foo
% bind .foo <1> {puts "click"}
% bind .foo <Up> {puts "up"}

Button-1 in the listbox, it says "click".  Hit Up in the listbox, does
nada.  I got down to this trying to work out why the default class
bindings for listboxes and scrollbars just _don't_ work.  Is this an R6
thing?  It's as annoying as all snot.  (No, I do _not_ have NumLock on!)

> I always threatened to provide an HP2640 terminal emulator resource
> string for it, just to prove it could be done as easily as a VT220,
> but I somehow never quite found the time. :-)

I'd be inclined to try for something more useful, like a Wyse 120GT
perhaps 8)