Date:      Thu, 25 May 2006 12:22:38 +0100
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        Lars Stokholm <lars.stokholm@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: upload-only ftp server

Lars Stokholm wrote:

> On 5/25/06, Mikhail Goriachev <mikhailg@webanoide.org> wrote:
>
>> Yeah, I agree. I forced my users to use SFTP through FileZilla on
>> windows. They actually think they're using FTP instead of SFTP. So
>> everyone is happy including me.
>

> Isn't it a problem that they can't be chrooted?

You could look at rssh which can restrict logins to just sftp and I
believe allows chrooting.  Of course, with such a shell you can't then
log in to Unix normally.  Proftpd will let you configure just about
everything and can limit cd, for example, and might do what's required.
Configuration is pretty mind-boggling, though, and always leaves me with
the nagging doubt that I didn't get everything right, so testing always
takes longer too :-(  I'm not sure I'd recommend it unless it did really
did have a feature that was required.

--Alex