Date:      Sat, 5 Apr 1997 11:53:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Andre Sachs [Staff]" <asachs@iafrica.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Booting SCSI first over IDE

On Sat, 5 Apr 1997, Andre Sachs [Staff] wrote:

> I'm running 2.2-RELEASE.
>
> I have an AHA2940 with a Seagate SCSI drive and a Seagate IDE drive. When
> I enable the IDE drive in the BIOS, (after BS-OS to boot off the SCSI)
> the kernel panics because it can't mount / on sd1. Fair enough recompile
> the kernel to mount root on sd1 and it fails again. Vexing.
>
> I even tryed changing the fstab to reflect sd1. Failed again.

Unfortunately, this is a tough case.  In IDE & SCSI systems, the
bootblocks get confused with both in place and can't quite determine where
it is from the BIOS.  So it guesses, and usually gets it wrong.

There isn't much we can do for you.  You can try to rebuild the bootblocks
to default to sd1a, but I don't know how to do that.  The code is in
/usr/mdec.