Date:      Fri, 1 May 1998 09:56:31 -0500
From:      "Jeff Wreyford" <wreyford@shreve.net>
To:        <support@cdrom.com>
Subject:   FreeBSD Installation Question

I am attempting to install FreeBSD Ver. 2.2.6 april, 98, on an HP Vectra
486/33 machine w/8MB ram and a Quantum Prodrive LPS 270MB disk.  I am
following the installation example given in the book.txt file found on the
cdrom.  I am doing a NOVICE installation from CDROM using the entire hard
drive with "Standard" boot.  I have NO conflicting I/O in the customization
screen just after boot.

I am using the IDE controller as wd0, a mitsumi CDROM as wcd0c, 1 parallel,
2 serial and no mouse or network card.  I am deleteing all of the other
devices in the customization screen that are not necessary.

Full Screen Configuration:

Storage:                             dev  IRQ  port
  Floppy disk controller            fdc0   6  0x3f0
  Mitsumi CD-ROM                    mcd0  10  0x300
  IDE/ESDI/MFM disk controller      wdc0  14  0x1f0
Network:
  (none)
Communications:
  Parallel printer port             lpt0   7
  8250/16450/16550 Serial Port      sio0   4  0x3f8
  8250/16450/16550 Serial Port      sio1   3  0x2f8
Input:
  syscons console driver            sc0    1  0x60

screen shows:
--------------
avail memory = 4874240 (4760K bytes)
probing for devices on the ISA bus
sc0 at 0x60-0x6f irq 1 on motherboard
sc0: WARNING: video mode switching is only partially supported
sc0: VGA color <4 virtual consoles, flags=0x0)
sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff  irq 4 on isa
sio0: type 16450
sio1 at 0x2f8-02ff  irq 3 on isa
sio1: type 16450
lpt0 at 0x378-0x37f  irq 7 on isa
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
lp0: TCP/IP capable interface
fdc0 at 0x3f0-0x3f7  irq 6 drq 2 on isa
fdc0: FIFO enabled, 8 bytes threshold
fd0: 1.44MB 3.5in
wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <QUANTUM LPS270A>
wd0: 258MB (528640 sectors), 944 cyls, 14 heads, 40 S/T, 512 B/S
wdc0: unit 1 (atapi): <FX320S/q01>, removable, intr, dma, iordis
mcd0 not found at 0x300
npx0 flags 0x1 on motherboard
mpx0: INT 16 Interface
rootfs is 1440 KByte compiled in MFS

FDISK Partition Editor:
-----------------------

Offset     size     end     Name     PType     Desc          Subtype
FLags
  0          40      39       -         6      unused           0
 40      528600  528639     wd0s1       3      freebsd        165         CA

Install a standard MBR

FreeBSD Disk Label Editor
-------------------------

part     Mount      Size     Newfs
wd0s1a   /          32MB     UFS Y
wd0s1b   swap       25MB     SWAP
wd0s1e   /var       30MB     UFS Y
wd0s1f   /usr      170MB     UFS Y

Choose Minimal Installation from CDROM

The system hangs when the kernel attempts to create the root filesystem
(Blue screen w/grey text box)

Text in Grey Box:  Making a new froot filesystem on /dev/rwd0s1a

the Alt-F2 screen shows the following:

DEBUG: ioctl(3, TIOCCONS, NULL) = 0 (success)
DEBUG: Found a network device named lp0
DEBUG: Found a CDROM device for /dev/wcd0c
DEBUG: Found a floppy device for /dev/fd0
DEBUG: Add mapping for /dev/cuaa0 to sl0
DEBUG: Add mapping for /dev/cuaa0 to ppp0
DEBUG: Add mapping for /dev/cuaa1 to sl0
DEBUG: Add mapping for /dev/cuaa1 to ppp0
DEBUG: Found a disk device named wd0
DEBUG: Scanning disk wd0 for root filesystem
DEBUG: Scanning disk wd0 for swap partitions
DEBUG: Scanning disk wd0 for root filesystem
DEBUG: Scanning disk wd0 for swap partitions
/dev/rwd0s1a:   65536 sectors in 16 cylinders of 1 tracks, 4096 sectors

Any ideas what i'm doing wrong??  where did device rwd0s1a come from?? it
wasn't listed anywhere during the install.

I have tried the installation with and without a network card (NE2000 addr.
300 IRQ 15) and with and without the microsoft bus mouse with no luck.  I
have also tried a different hard drive and installing from a DOS Partition.

and I also exhaustedly RTFM

Jeff Wreyford
wreyford@shreve.net