Date:      Tue, 18 May 1999 17:15:21 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>
Cc:        Jos.Backus@nl.origin-it.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MFS still hosed

On Tue, 18 May 1999 08:53:49 +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> I remade world and kernel (config -g -r) with yesterday's HEAD and still
> get a panic mounting MFS. My kernel config includes MFS but not
> MFS_ROOT.
>
> Shout if you want a trace. I haven't provided one here, since I'll need
> to copy it down by hand because I'm using the ATA* driver that's still
> under development and doesn't support crashdumps.

I think I know why a lot of people _aren't_ seeing this panic: it
doesn't show up if you #undef DEVT_FASCIST in kern/kern_conf.c .

I found this by accident because I can't get a crash dump using the wd
driver. I get

dumping to dev (0, 131089), offset 524288
dump device bad

Suspecting this whole major/minor/dev_t business, I #undef'd
DEVT_FASCIST and all of a sudden I can't reproduce the panic to test
dumps. ;-)

I'm not whining, I just want to make sure that it's a known issue, not
something that's completely resolved.

Ciao,
Sheldon.