Date:      Thu, 09 Aug 2001 09:34:16 +1000
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        Drew Tomlinson <drewt@writeme.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to Echo Newline in tcsh?

drewt@writeme.com said:
> Thank you for the informative explanation.  Where is the proper place
> to set environment variables so they are there between logins?  And
> where should I set it if I want it to be the default for all users and
> any new users I might create?

Actually, this isn't an environment variable (to be pedantic); it's just
a shell variable.  If you run "printenv" you will see that it's not
listed.  Also

	freddo# echo $echo_style
	both
	freddo# tcsh
	You have mail.
	freddo# echo $echo_style
	bsd
	freddo# exit
	exit
	freddo#

which suggests that it isn't being inherited by child processes (unless
it's being reset, but I can't see anything to indicate that).

If you look at the man page for tcsh it has a section on startup files.
For what you want, it probably should go in /etc/csh.cshrc in something
like:

	if ($?tcsh) then
		# tcsh-specific stuff
		set echo_style=both
	endif

Since FreeBSD doesn't have the "vanilla" csh, you're probably okay with
just putting

	set echo_style=both

in /etc/csh.cshrc, but I generally prefer to spell things out.

Cheers

Tony
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319