Date:      Tue, 6 Jul 1999 08:25:29 -0500
From:      "Mike Avery" <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to start to be a hacker?

On 6 Jul 99, at 10:10, Phil Regnauld wrote:
> G. Adam Stanislav writes:

>  Sometimes, this also applies to europeans visiting the US -- they'll
>  casually say "Oh, I'll just rent a car in Seattle and drive down
>  to L.A." -- people are just not aware of the distances (well,
>  there's also the fact that you have time to dessicate at the wheel
>  when driving 65 MPH).

It seems to be a problem with understanding the scale of things.
Yes, it's a single country.  But it spans the continent.

An exchange student was working for my wife in a library on the
east coast, and said she was going to visit her friends in Washington
over a 3-day weekend.  She was going to take the train.  My wife
was familiar with Washington DC, so she suggested a few resturants,
and was told, "No, not Washington DC, my friends are in Washington
state!"

If there was an excellent train service, she'd have had just enough
time to make it to Washington state, get a cup of coffee, get back
on the train, and drink the coffee on the way back.  But train service
gets worse and worse the farther you get from the east coast.
Sadly, the student couldn't afford a plane ticket, so the visit with
friends was considerably delayed.

Mike

Mike Avery                            MAvery@mail.otherwhen.com
                                          (409)-842-2942 (work)
                                                  ICQ: 16241692

* Spam is for lusers who can't get business any other way *

A Randomly Selected Thought For The Day:
If guys were suppose to hang clothes up, door knobs would be bigger.