Date:      Sun, 5 Mar 2000 21:59:27 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Michael Lewis <m1ewis@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: modem/PPP config problem

On Sun, Mar 05, 2000 at 12:35:28PM -0800, Michael Lewis wrote:

> >From: Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
> >To: Michael Lewis <m1ewis@hotmail.com>
> >CC: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> >Subject: Re: modem/PPP config problem
> >Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 16:08:59 +0000
> >

> >Looking at your ppp.log it appears that you modem is not responding
> >to the ``AT'' command.
> >
> >At the ``ppp on xxxxx>'' prompt try typing ``term'' and if you get
> >a prompt try entering ``AT <RETURN>'' and you should get ``OK''
> >back.
> >

> When I type "term" I get:
> deflink: Entering terminal mode on /dev/cuaa1
> Type '~?' for help
> The following commands are available:
> ~p		Enter Packet mode
> 	.
> 	.
> 	.
>
> But then I have no control of the keyboard at all, so when I enter AT ret
> nothing happens.  If I type ~. I get out of terminal mode.  What do I have
> to do to try the AT command?

Do you mean that ``AT'' doesn't appear on the screen? If so then
I don't really know what to suggest. Sorry :(

> >Also, is your modem found at boot-time? what does the output from
> >dmesg(8) show?
> >

> Good question.  I don't know how to interpret dmesg.  What I find for the
> serial devices is:
>
> sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa		(I assume this is the mouse)
> sio0: type 16550A

This is the first serial port (COM1 in DOS parlance)

> sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa		(I assume this is the modem)
> sio1: type 16550A

and this is the second. If your modem is external (and you're using
a serial mouse) then it probably is your modem.

> But that's all I find in dmesg -- nothing about cuaaX.

You won't see cuaaX during boot, just sioX.

> Is the modem info
> there somewhere or is it just not being found?
>
> thanks for your reply, Mike

You're welcome, I'm just sorry I can't be of more help.

BTW, you should always CC: the questions mailing list. That way
many more people will see it and you stand a better chance of
getting help. I've CC:'d this reply.