Date:      Tue, 06 Nov 2001 18:50:37 -0500
From:      Matt Penna <mdp1261@ritvax.isc.rit.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Drew Sanford <lauasanf@wilderness.dyn.dhs.org>
Subject:   Re: Error from tape drive - any ideas?

At 04:57 PM 11/6/01 -0600, you wrote:
>I've started getting an error from my tape device. It's a used drive I
>just got from a friend, and it worked several times. The tape media is new
>(wel, ok, I've done something like 3 backups on each tape, but its still
>under a month old). This happens with both of my tapes. Does anyone have
>any suggestions as to what the problem might be, or how to cure it?

Drew,

This is a very basic suggestion, but you didn't mention whether you tried this:

Have you cleaned the drive?

If not, get the correct cleaning cartridge, then try running a backup
again. Other problems could explain the fact the drive worked initially and
is now failing, but cleaning the drive is the easiest place to start.

Best of luck!

         Matt

--
Matt Penna                                      mdp1261@rit.edu
ICQ: 399825                                     S0ba on AOLIM