Date:      Tue, 31 Aug 1999 22:17:33 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   wiring down SCSI devices, and the root device

Messing around with SCSI drives and two SCSI controllers. One is a
first generation Adaptec 2940A, fast, narrow. The other is a much newer
Sybios 875-based card. Apparently I have them in the wrong PCI slots to
boot the way I wish if a HD is on the Adaptec. "Normally" only tape
drives are on the Adaptec. And only one HD is on ncr0.

So rather than solve my problem in hardware, thought I'd do it in
software. Altered my config file to wire down my SCSI devices like this
(thought I'd throw in the "kernel root on" for completness):

config          kernel  root on da0

# old way:
#controller     scbus0
#device         da0
#
# wired down:
controller      scbus0  at ncr0
controller      scbus1  at ahc0
device          da0     at scbus0 target 0

The comments in LINT suggest "device" and "disk" are the same thing so
I commented out the old "device da0" and used the LINT disk line as my
example.

Is the "controller scbus1" line needed? Based on the LINT example I
didn't think it could hurt.

Built and installed new kernel. Shut down. Added a 2G HD to the ahc0.
During boot BIOS says this new HD is the C: drive. Fromerly the 9G
drive on ncr0 was so identified.

My boot block code says something about version 0.7.

F5 to boot second disk. Then the normal F2 to boot BSD. Eventually
followed by a fatal error. This part is typed from written notes:

da1 at ahc0 bus 0 target 1 lun 0
... (normal da1 stuff for the new HD)
changing root device to da1s1a
error 22: panic: cannot mount root(2)
(2 blank lines)
syncing disks... done
da0 at ncr0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
... (normal da0 stuff for the old HD)
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort

For some reason my kernel reassigned root contrary to my instructions
in config. And after deciding to sync and reboot apparently a process
or thread or something completed the probe of da0, which was supposed
to be root. And finally the shutdown completed.

System is 3.2-STABLE, cvsup'ed the evening of 8/30/99. Matching kernel.
But using my config. I don't see anything in GENERIC addressing
possible solutions.

Moving the "new" disk from ahc0 to ncr0 results in a good system. Am
using it at this very moment. Snippet from my current dmesg. Apparently
my hard wiring of SCSI devices is doing something as da1 is now listed
before da0:

da1 at ncr0 bus 0 target 1 lun 0
da1: <SEAGATE ST32550N 0021> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da1: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 15), Tagged Queueing Enabled
da1: 2047MB (4194058 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 261C)
changing root device to da0s2a
da0 at ncr0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <IBM OEM DCHS09W 2222> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da0: 20.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 15, 16bit), Tagged Queueing Enabled
da0: 8689MB (17796077 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 1107C)

Where do I go from here?