Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 2000 13:57:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@video-collage.com>
To:        "Charles N. Owens" <owensc@enc.edu>
Cc:        hacker@bolingbroke.com, pir@pir.net, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disk cloning

> > > Disk cloning with dd is evil. Don't Do That.

> > Is there a particular reason you say dd is evil for disk cloning?
>
> I also am curious as to why use of dd in this way is bad.

By re-creating the filesystem with restore or tar -x you allow the OS
to rearrange the files the way it wants.  If you use dd, you will get
the exact copy of the old filesystem, which, most likely, accumulated
over time, and is not optimal.

For example, if a filesystem functions better if the files lay on the
disk in single sequences,  use of tar or dump/restore will let the OS
"defragment".

	-mi