Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 10:34:14 -0600
From:      "Shawn Kennedy" <shawnlkennedy@lucent.com>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   pkg Updates?

------=_NextPart_000_000B_01C1A979.A99907C0

Hello,

I am new to freeBSD (like you haven't heard
that about a billion times by now :-)) and
have a question.

I performed a CVS Update of the entire box.
It migrated me from 4.4 to 4.5 stable (which is
fine, I don't have a problem at all with that).
I rebuilt the world, installed it and rebuilt
the kernel.  Now some of my packages are now
considered "old" (used pkg_version).  I don't
know how to update all the packages. I tried
pkg_update, but I don't have the new tarballs
on my system. I tried to delete the package
so when I add it back in it will go get the
new tarballs, but when I try to delete it,
it tells me it's required by other packages.
Is there a way out of this?

Here is my package info (pkg_info and pkg_version).
All I want is for everything to be "up to date".

Thanks!

Shawn Kenendy

------=_NextPart_000_000B_01C1A979.A99907C0

root# pkg_info
Mesa-3.4.2_1        A graphics library similar to SGI's OpenGL
bash-2.05a          The GNU Bourne Again Shell
cups-1.1.10.1       The Common UNIX Printing System
cvsstat-2.18        Transforms the output of 'cvs status' to a sorted =
ASCII tab
cvsup-16.1_3        A general network file distribution system optimized =
for CV
cvsupit-3.0         CVSup installation and setup front-end package (16.1 =
/ GUI=20
cvsutils-2001.07.05 CVS utilities which facilitate working with local =
working d
ethereal-0.8.19_1   An X11/GTK network analyzer/capture tool
fam-2.6.4           A file alteration monitor
gettext-0.10.35     GNU gettext package
glib-1.2.10_4       Some useful routines of C programming
gtk-1.2.10_2        Gimp Toolkit for X11 GUI
iconv-2.0_1         Charset conversion library and utilities
jpeg-6b             IJG's jpeg compression utilities
kde-2.2             The "meta-port" for KDE 2
kdebase-2.2_2       Base modules for the KDE integrated X11 desktop
kdegames-2.2        Games for the KDE integrated X11 desktop
kdegraphics-2.2     Utilities for the KDE integrated X11 desktop
kdelibs-2.2_3       Libraries for KDE2
kdemultimedia-2.2   Utilities for the KDE integrated X11 desktop
kdenetwork-2.2      Network modules for KDE2
kdeutils-2.2        Utilities for the KDE integrated X11 desktop
koffice-1.1,1       Office suite for KDE2
lcms-1.07_1         Light Color Management System -- a color management =
library
libaudiofile-0.2.2  A sound library for SGI audio file
libiconv-1.7_1      A character set conversion library
libmng-1.0.2        Multiple-image Network Graphics (MNG) reference =
library
libwww-5.3.1        The W3C Reference Library
libxml2-2.4.3_1     Xml parser library for GNOME
linux_base-6.1      The base set of packages needed in Linux mode
pcre-3.4            Perl Compatible Regular Expressions library
pkgconfig-0.8.0     An utility used to retrieve information about =
installed lib
png-1.2.0           Library for manipulating PNG images
python-2.1.1        An interpreted object-oriented programming language
qt-2.3.1            A C++ X GUI toolkit
teTeX-1.0.7         Thomas Esser's distribution of TeX & friends
tiff-3.5.5          Tools and library routines for working with TIFF =
images
uulib-0.5.13        A library for uu/xx/Base64/BinHex de-/encoding
xanim-2.80.2        Play most popular animation formats and show =
pictures
xpm-3.4k            The X Pixmap library

root# pkg_version
Mesa                                <
bash                                =3D
cups                                <