Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2018 08:28:56 -0700
From:      bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
To:        "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: RPI3B+ does not reboot

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 01:39:08PM +0200, Ronald Klop wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Jul 2018 16:58:30 +0200, Wis Macomson <Wis@teraspeed.com> wrote:
>
> > Can you disconnect the serial TX data (data to the RPi) and try the
> > reboots?
> >
> > It may be that this signal is partially powering the processor through
> > the input ESD protection diode, leading to very awkward internal states.
> > This has been observed on the Rock64 (RK3328 SoC) and Rockpro64 (RK3399).
> >
> > If you can just break the TX connection, you'll be able to see the boot
> > messages.
> >
> > -wis
>

> Hi,
>
> I will try this. Is this also relevant if my serial connection of the RPI3
> is not connected to my laptop (via USB).
> Because the reboot also fails than.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ronald.

I'm still seeing cpu_reset failed on a Pi3 (not +) at r336188. TX and RX only
are connected, GND is lifted. The Pi's board ground is connected via USB to
the other four hosts in the ring. The USB-serial adapter is FTDI and has shown
absolutely no tendency to lock up or malfunction.

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska