Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 2017 08:55:39 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Proposed Enhancements to the EFI booting

On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 1:44 AM, Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 16/08/2017 07:15, Warner Losh wrote:
> > If you want to boot ZFS, it can be encoded as File('ZFS') or
> > File('ZFS:pool'). It's all OS specific.
>
> Just a note that it would be nice to be able to select a specific
> filesystem within a ZFS pool as well.  That would provide a more robust
> alternative to zfsbootcfg on EFI systems.

I concur. I'd like to be able to specify the whole path somehow. I'm
looking for the standard way to do that. I also need a way to just say
"Find a ZFS pool so we do what we do now" and "Find ZFS pool FRED and do
what we do now"

Someone (maybe you) on IRC suggested zfs:/pool/file/system:/path/to/file
since that's what's used now. It doesn't look like a typical URI, but
looking at RFC 3986 I see that it fits the ABNF at the end, as well as
being congruent with some of the examples. Since there's no 'authority'
section, it's fine. I'm not aware of needing any authority or credentials
to access the pool, so I think that's fine.

Warner