Date:      Fri, 5 Jun 1998 12:55:18 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        marijn@stack.nl
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SEEK command or locate tape position

Marijn Meijles wrote...
> hi,
>
> I just bought a HP-DAT drive. It works great, except for searching
> within archives. When I use Linux, there is a program called dds2tar
> that uses a MTSEEK call to position the heads within an archive so it
> can extract files very quickly. However, fbsd does not have this. Is
> there a patch that either implements a seek command or let's you read
> the current position of the heads?
> Oh, I use FreeBSD 2.2-STABLE.

	Hans Huebner <hans@artcom.de> is working on putting fast locate
and read position support into the CAM tape driver.  Once he finishes that
work, it will be available in CAM.  The CAM snapshots are released for both
current and stable, so you'll be able to run them on your system.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com