Date:      Thu, 20 May 2004 13:04:44 -0500
From:      Donald Szatkowski <deltaski@verizon.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Parallel Printer

Thank you for reading this message.

I have installed FreeBSD 4.10r2 and am having trouble with the printer setup.
This is on and OLD Gateway P5-100, 128mb ram (yah-100Mhz!). It is a direct
connect to the parallel port. My main source document is the FreeBSD Handbook,
2nd ed. and the online Handbook @ FreeBSD.org. I have the necc. files as
directed by Chapter 11, but am still having problems. (/etc/printcap,
/dev/lpt0, etc). When I test with #lptest >/dev/lpt0, I get nothing. My
initial install selection was for parallel printing. And checking rc.conf
shows "lpd="YES". When I "#grep ppc0 /var/run/dmesg.boot" I get the message,
"can not reserve input output range". When I"#dmesg | grep lpt0" I get the
message, "lpt0 not configured".

Here is where the problems begin. Thinking maybe the printer or cable might be
the problem, I pulled the BSD hard drive, reinstalled the win95 hard drive,
tested the printer and it worked fine! Reinstall the BSD drive and boot, no
printer! IRQ 7 the same. To this, I suspect the KERNEL, yet all matches the
examples with one exception. In the KERNEL file under #Parallel Port, the
printer is listed at ppc0 and not lpt0. Have I misinterpreted something? Are
they the same, should all ref to lpt0 be ppc0? Otherwise, BSD is working
fine! If anyone could direct me to another resource, or drop a hint, it sure
would be appreciated.

Thanks    Don