Date:      Wed, 13 May 2009 21:04:54 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Alexandre \"Sunny\" Kovalenko" <gaijin.k@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hi Guys

> From: "Alexandre \"Sunny\" Kovalenko" <gaijin.k@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 20:36:10 -0400
>
> On Wed, 2009-05-13 at 17:17 -0300, Sylvio César Teixeira Amorim wrote:
> > Kevin,
> >
> >   my laptop is Intel Core 2 duo 2.26, FSB 1066Mhz, DDR3.
> > my sysctl
> >
> > hw.acipi.thermal.tz0._PSV: -1
> > hw.acipi.thermal.tz0._CRT: 107.0C
>
> Please, do not top-post -- it makes it harder to follow the thread.
>
> Do you by any chance have message to the tune of
>
> "acpi_tz0: _PSV value is absurd, ignored..."
>
> in you boot log? "grep absurd /var/log/messages" should give you the
> answer to this question.
>
> If answer is "yes" and you are willing to override your ASL, dump it
> according to the "Handbook" instructions and put it somewhere, I can get
> to it.
>
> As an alternative, you can add
>
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.passive_cooling=1
> hw.acpi.thermal.user_override=1
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._PSV=75C
>
> to /etc/sysctl.conf. This might or might not work as BIOS might tell OS
> to reevaluate _PSV and restore absurd value. You should replace 75C with
> the value you have in mind for your system.

A Core2 Duo system can run VERY hot without a problem. You may note that
_CRT is 107. That is possibly correct. Three 2.26 GHz chips, all P8400s,
are speced at 105C. There is no thermal spec listed for the SP9300,
though. In any case, 88C is certainly well within normal operating
parameters for this processor, but you can certainly force _PSV to
whatever you like. Just remember that it will slow the system by at least
12.5% and maybe more.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)