Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 1996 15:43:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brian Litzinger <brian@MediaCity.com>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Rlogin delay

> > I've observed something concerning rlogin that is a bit odd to me, and
> > increasingly annoying for my users. When a user logs off and then tries
> > to re-log within a reasonable delay from another machine on the local
> > network, the login will be ingored for a very long time (10-60 seconds
> > seems typical). I checked the /etc/inetd.conf to make sure it was okay:

I've observed the following behavior between two FreeBSD of every
version since 2.0.5

freebsd1# rsh freebsd2 ls -a
./              .cshrc          .klogin         .rhosts
../             .fvwmrc         .login          .xsession
.Xdefaults      .history        .profile

freebsd1# rsh freebsd2 ls -a
(30 or so seconds later)
Connection refused

freebsd1# rsh freebsd2 ls -a
./              .cshrc          .klogin         .rhosts
../             .fvwmrc         .login          .xsession
.Xdefaults      .history        .profile

freebsd1# rsh freebsd2 ls -a
(30 or so seconds later)
Connection refused

freebsd1# ...

I run into similar behavior almost every day.

The reason I hit it so much is that my answering machine (vgetty+zyxel)
emails my voice mail messages to an account on a local ISP I work work.

Then where I am with my laptop and telnet into the ISP system and
under elm my voice mails appears.  When I play one via metamail it
is rsh'd to my laptop where  it is played over the laptop's
speaker.

When I play the first voice mail of a session it works fine.  If
I play the next one without an intervening delay of about
1 minute I get the connection refused message.

--
Brian Litzinger					       Powered by FreeBSD
<brian@mediacity.com>                            http[s]://www.mpress.com