Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 2008 19:32:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      george+freebsd@m5p.com
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Severe DNS Problems, 6.2-RELEASE, BIND 9.5.2

> From: Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
> george+freebsd@m5p.com wrote:
> > I'm having severe DNS problems.  I'm running 6.2-RELEASE, and I upgrade=
> > to the bind9 port (after cvsup) on July 14.  Starting yesterday morning=
> ,
> > DNS became very, very slow.  If I repeated a "dig" command three or fou=
> > times, I could get an answer after 20-30 seconds.  This morning I cvsup=
> ped
> > again and installed the bind95 port.  Still very, very slow.  I will
> > probably shift my server to a FreeBSD 7.0 system this weekend, but I
> > would like very much to understand what's going on.
>
> Did you configure DLV (DNSSEC Look-aside Validation)?  If so, you were=20
> probably bitten by the ISC key timing out.  Key roll-over was scheduled=20
> for the month leading up to Tuesday 21st.
>
> Get the new key from: https://secure.isc.org/ops/dlv/index.php#dlv_key
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew

No, I'm not using DLV, but thanks for the hint anyway.

> From: Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
>
> On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 10:04:50 -0400 (EDT)
> george+freebsd@m5p.com wrote:
>
> > I'm having severe DNS problems.  I'm running 6.2-RELEASE, and I upgraded
> > to the bind9 port (after cvsup) on July 14.  Starting yesterday morning,
> > DNS became very, very slow.  If I repeated a "dig" command three or four
> > times, I could get an answer after 20-30 seconds.  This morning I cvsupped
> > again and installed the bind95 port.  Still very, very slow.  I will
> > probably shift my server to a FreeBSD 7.0 system this weekend, but I
> > would like very much to understand what's going on.
>
> Could this be a downstream server timing out?
>
>       <mike

It would have to be every single downstream server on the net.  If I
manually dig at the various servers, I can resolve stuff as needed,
but my server responds promptly only for the zones for which it is
authoritative.  Thanks anyway for the suggestion.     -- George Mitchell