Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2001 21:23:51 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Todd Reed" <ex279@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Backup Procedures

Todd Reed <ex279@hotmail.com> types:
> How do others backup their system?  I mean, do you kick off all users, deny
> logins, or does the system get backed up while users are logged in and
> working?

Yes.

> What are the procedures?

My standard practice on multiuser systems is to take daily backups
while the system is live. The danger here is that files - including
directories - can be skipped, or captured in an inconsistent state.

For weekly backups, I shut the system down to avoid those
problems. Generally, should I need to restore a file that was skipped
one day, I can get it off the previous days backup. If someone has
something running via cron such that it's never captured properly by
dump, it'll still come off the weekly backup. Copies of the weeklies
are also sent off-site.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.