Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 1996 07:11:40 -0700 (MST)
From:      Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
To:        samurai@iosys.net (Rich Bornhofer)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: perhaps i am just stupid.

>   I still can't get the dos partition install to work. Yes i transfered
> the files in binary mode, yes i deleted the partition that freebsd is to
> go on with fdisk and re-did the entire partition creation from scratch.
> Yes the directory that contains the files is c:\freebsd\bin,
> c:\freebsd\doc, c:\freebsd\info etc, etc.. The insallation starts out
> fine.
>    The first error i get while in the install menu based application is
> 'write failure on transfer (-1 bytes writen of 1024 bytes)'.
> So i went to the debugging screen.. lots of /mnt/stand.. stuff.. alot of
> cpio:.. stuff.. then we get to the first DEBUG: thingy..
>
> DEBUG: Generating /etc/fstab file
> mountmsdosfs():Warning root directory is not a multiple of the cluster
> size in length.
> DEBUG: Mounted dos device (/dev/wd0s1) on dos
> DEBUG: Request for bin/bin.tgz from dos
> DEBUG: Request for bin/bin.inf from dos
> DEBUG: Request for bin/bin.aa from dos
> .
> bin/cat
> bin/chmod
> /stand/cpio: invalid header: checksum error
> DEBUG: request for bin/bin.ab from dos
>
> gunzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--format violated
> DEBUG: switching back to VTY1
> /stand/spio: premature end of file

Hmmm... seems like this pops up quite often in recent complaints.
Is there a nice "easy" way for folks to verify checksums, etc.
of their files before installing?  Can this be added to the FAQ

At the very least, folks should be checking the lengths of the
files *after* acquiring them, etc.

> I got another write error after a minute or two.. and the debugging
> screen showed..
>
> usr/share/doc/FAQ/...html for the entire buffer up.. and the last few
> lines were..
>
> gunzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--format violated
>  <a few more ......html entries..like 3 i think..>
> /stand/cpio: premature end of file

>   Thank you for your time,

No, thank *YOU* for your time ... and patience.  Rest assured, the
result *IS* worth the effort!

>    Ray, the very flustered, and considering a new modem (that works on
> com2 ;)

Check file lengths, etc.  The very *first* time I installed NetBSD (0.8R)
I got hosed terribly like this.

Also, (speaking from ignorance!  :>) can you use the shell on VTY4 (??)
and manually inspect the files?  i.e. cksum, etc.

--don