Date:      Tue, 16 Oct 2001 18:47:29 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Andrew Reid <andrew.reid@plug.cx>
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Network Startup

Andrew Reid <andrew.reid@plug.cx> types:
> > There is work afoot for incorporating the 5.0 to incorporate the
> > NetBSD startup system, which picks up that one good feature of the
> > System V stuff, adds a few other goodies, and doesn't otherwise act
> > like a bilge pump.
> I'm not particularly familiar with the NetBSD startup system. Tell me,
> does it support this slightly simplified way of restarting the network
> interfaces?

Yes. The various system services are broken out by script ala
/usr/local/etc/rc.d, so you can start and stop them
individualy. Unlike the System V mess for deciding what gets started
and stopped, rc.conf gets read to figure out what the admin wants
running. Topological sorting is then done on the contents of rc.d so
that 1) everything required to get what the admin wants running
started will be run, and 2) it all gets started in the right order. It
wasn't clear when I lasted looked at it that starting or stopping
something by hand will start and stop all the things that depend on
it.

> Will 5.0 incorporate this kind of startup procedure? As I've said
> before, seemingly little effort is required on a per-service basis to
> "enable" them for this kind of startup procedure, with so much in the
> areas of ease of use to gain.

It's being worked on. Last time I looked, it was optional so it could
be worked on without disturbing other work.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.