Date:      Fri, 28 Aug 1998 09:56:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        wwoods@cybcon.com
Cc:        david@dhw.vip.best.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Practical qurestion here..............

>Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 18:25:31 -0700 (PDT)
>From: William Woods <wwoods@cybcon.com>

>OK folks...when I decided to go all FreeBSD I neglected something....mailing
>lists stuff. I get every 4 monts a comma delinated (comma seperated - whatever)
>list of addresses and other info on floppy disk.. I need to import this list
>into a database and from there print mailing labels. MS Access would do this
>easially, but is there arything for FreeBSD to do this. I would hate to
>re-install windows just for this......help please.

I'd hate for someone to feel forced to such an extreme measure... so if
there's interest, I could try to package up some stuff I cobbled up to
print labels, and put it somewhere that might be useful for folks to get
to & use.

It's an arguably unholy mixture of groff macros & Perl, along with a
defined structure for configuration files to tell the above the
characteristics of particular label stock.  The script is designed to
accept input that looks like:

label 1 line 1...
label 1 line 2...
label 1 line n

label 2 line 1...
label 2 line 2...
label 2 line n

label N line 1...
label N line 2...
label N line n

Oh, yeah -- the output is PostScript, and it's also written expecting to
go to rectangular (vs. triangular, circular, or whatever) label stock.

It isn't generalized as much as it really should be, but I haven't had
much incentive to tinker with it much, since it works well enough for my
purposes (including a rather degenerate case of using an entire sheet of
8.5"x11" paper as a single "label" that I refer to as "letterhead" --
oh, yeah -- envelopes are handled as "labels," too).

Now... as for the data re-formatting....  The Perl script's input is
fairly easily machine-generated (for example, if the first line is
empty, it's ignored, so you can safely *always* prefix a new label with
an empty line).

I'd probably be willing ot cobble up a simple Perl script or something
to eat the list of addresses that you get & output the form that the
script eats... or maybe even twist the script that I have to recognize
the format you use, if it seems sufficiently general.

If that seems useful, please let me know at my home address (to which
I'll Cc: this message), since all that is stuff I didn't do here, and
isn't here.  (For that matter, it isn't FreeBSD-specific, since it was
developed originally on a BSD/386 system, and at home I run it on the
Suns.)

If I do make it available, I'm hoping (of course) that others will help
improve it....  :-}

david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621