Date:      Fri, 16 Jul 1999 13:17:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Vivid <vivid1@home.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: DHCP and NAT? problems.

On Fri, 16 Jul 1999, Vivid wrote:

> So when I
> disabled the natd options in my rc.conf (natd_enable and natd_interface was
> commented) and changed my firewall_type to open I was able to obtain an IP
> and ping out and have full internet connectivity.  So I believe my
> dhclient.conf and dhclient-script is properly configured since I seem to
> have full functionality.  Does anybody have any suggestions on what may be
> the problem?

	What does your firewall script look like? Mine (2.2.8-Stable) has
an option that automatically adds the appropriate rule if I have natd
enabled in /etc/rc.conf.

	Also, I found that to get natd working it was necessary to have
hostnames for all the machines on my network in my /etc/hosts file.
Something like this:

10.0.0.1	gateway		gateway.fakenet
10.0.0.2	workstation	workstation.fakenet

	I put those entries in my /etc/hosts file on the natd box, and on
my dual boot workstation I put the same /etc/hosts for freebsd, and in
c:\windows\HOSTS for windows booting (note, this is NOT hosts.txt).

HTH,

Doug
--
On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only
nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter