Date:      Thu, 30 Oct 2003 10:52:23 +0100
From:      Nico Meijer <nico@familiemeijer.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cloning FreeBSD installations?

Hi ewald,

http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/

> o) Is there a way to clone FreeBSD installations by copying the entire
> FreeBSD slice to another drive (I thought about installing the
> harddisks of the other machines in the master machines and then
> copying the installtion) (Is "Knoppix" capable of doing this?)

If the disks are indeed identical, set up one disk the way you like;
boot into single user mode (boot -s) and dd away (as in `dd if=/dev/ad0
of=/dev/ad2 bs=[whatever]`).

Maybe experiment a bit with dd's block size. I've had great results with
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 8 40Gb disks and a blocksize of 512k. Takes about
15 minutes.

If you're indeed running IDE disks, put both disks on their own IDE
controller.

HTH... Nico