Date:      Thu, 13 Sep 2001 00:46:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Liu Siwei <swliu2002@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Chinese file or dircetory name on FreeBSD

Hi, all:
    I'm Chinese. I want FreeBSD can recognise Chinese
file or directory name in WINDOWS partion, but I have
not succeeded yet now. And in FreeBSD's UFS
filesystem, I can do the following things let FreeBSD
recognise Chinese file and directory name:
I use GNOME-1.4 desktop environment, in MS WINDOWS I
use tar(for windows) to create a tarball containing
Chinese file and directory name, and reboot and start
my FreeBSD. I set zh_CN.EUC environment for LC_ALL and
LANG. I start my gnome desktop environment and file
manager(mc), mount MS WINDOWS partions, click the
tarball file that I created. Then Chinese file and
directory name appear, I can copy it to anywhere, and
FreeBSD's gnome environment can recognise it.
    Another question is: what's the code for Chinese
file or directory name in FreeBSD? The reason I ask is
that: I copy the Chinese file or directory to MS
partion and reboot to start my Windows XP, I find they
can't recognise by MS Windows! Why?
    My system is: K7-700, 256M RAM, FreeBSD 4.4RC,
XFree86-4.1.0, GNOME-1.4.1.1.

Best Regard.