Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 10:12:27 -0400
From:      Bill Maniatty <maniattb@cs.rpi.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        maniatty@cs.albany.edu
Subject:   Default partitioning for FreeBSD 4.0 is BROKEN!

Hello All:

I posted a bug report about 1 1/2 weeks ago about FreeBSD's default
partitioning
being broken.  If a user wants to install ALL AVAILABLE (and I am
installing far short of that) packages in an installation, the
default configuration should support that (given sufficient disk space).

However FreeBSD allocates too few inodes in the /var file system and
the symlink creation phase of the install fails, and it happens late in
the installation cycle (after say 8 hours or more of ftping).  Unfortunately,
this sort of bug diminishes the perceived quality of the operating system,
since the impression is that it is the installation tools fault and that
such an obvious problem should have been caught by routine testing.
(It is especially embarassing since I am pleading with my Sysadmins
to consider supporting and installing your fine operating system).

As a work around, is there a way to increase the inode allocation using
a non default install.

I'm sorry for posting this, but I think the bug report was
dropped on the floor, especially since we know what the fix should be
(would it be easy to put this into the downloadable floppy images?).

Regards:

Bill Maniatty