Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 10:57:09 -0700
From:      paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Soundcard freezes after a suspend...

murat demirbas wrote:
> I managed to install FreeBSD 4.5 on my Thinkpad T20 a few days ago...
> I am enjoying the ride... Wireless support is awesome...
> Everything is almost perfect...
>
> I configured APM so I can suspend my laptop...
> However, when I resume the laptop, the soundcard freezes...
>
> I get the following error when I attempt to play XMMS:
> bash-2.05a#
> ** WARNING **: oss_open(): Failed to open audio device (/dev/dsp): Device busy
>

> I couldn't figure out the problem... My soundcard works fine when I
> reboot the system but freezes again after the first suspend...
>
> Can anybody suggest a quick fix? I won't mind entering a few commands to restart snd device...

I have a similar problem: murat sent me an email that helped me
get suspend and resume to work, but now sound doesn't, where it
did prior to my changes.

The change was to remove the 'disable flags' stuff for the apm0
device.
device          apm0    at nexus? disable flags 0x20 # Advanced
Power Management

I have the csa and pcm devices included for sound.

[/usr/home/paul]:: dmesg | grep csa
csa0: <CS4280/CS4614/CS4622/CS4624/CS4630> mem
0xf4000000-0xf40fffff,0xf4100000-0xf4100fff irq 11 at device 5.0
on pci0
csa: card is Thinkpad 600X/A20/T20
pcm0: <CS461x PCM Audio> on csa0

If I swap to the other kernel (with apm working and sound not) I
get a different error message from the pcm device:

pcm0:play:0: play interrupt timeout, channel dead

Googling doesn't tell me much, other that I'm not alone.
--
Paul Beard / 8040 27th Ave NE / Seattle WA 98115 /
paulbeard [at] mac [ dot] com / 206 529 8400

http://paulbeard.no-ip.org/movabletype

What sane person could live in this world and not be crazy?
		-- Ursula K. LeGuin