Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2001 10:11:36 -0300
From:      Filipe Brandenburger <filipe@procergs.rs.gov.br>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Doing "batch" updates in single-user mode

Hello,

Sometimes I need to update some parts of the FreeBSD system in a way that
requires me to be in single-user mode. For example, if I want to replace
the libc, or if I want to keep my system current using CVSup and using
"make world", etc.

I know I can go to the console of the host and type init 1 to go into
single-user mode, then I have a shell on the console, where I can issue the
commands I need to issue to update my system, and then when I exit the
shell with "^D" or "exit", the system goes back to multi-user mode, without
the need to reboot.

I would like to know if there's somehow a way to do this without the need
to be on the console of the host. For example, I would like to know if
there's a way to write a script and tell FreeBSD to go into single-user
mode, execute the script, and get back to multi-user mode, without the need
to be on the console.

I have two reasons for that. One is that I have to manage many (30+) hosts
with FreeBSD, and I would like to update all (or most) of them at the same
time. Other reason is that I would like to be able to schedule this kind of
update to 3:00AM or something like that, so that fewer people will be
affected by the downtime of the host, and I would like to do this update
without the need to be at the business to have to type the commands. Ok, I
know this would probably be too dangerous to do without watching, but hey,
if I test it before on a testing machine, I don't see much trouble in doing
this...

Hope you can help me with this... Thanks in advance,

Filipe