Date:      26 Feb 2002 21:32:25 -0600
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Weird pcm problem

I am using a custom kernel on my workstation.  I'm having a bit of an
annoying problem: my ES1371 sound card only works about half the time I boot
up, and only a reboot will fix it.  I have:

   device    pcm

in my config file, as I have for about two years now, which gives:

  pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1373-8> port 0xb800-0xb83f irq 5 at device 10.0 on pci0

in my dmesg.  The problem has only manifested in the last week or so.  I do
a make world roughly once a month, and the problem is flaky enough (and my
uptimes otherwise long enough) that I can't say for sure if that's when the
problem started.

Annoyingly enough, my workstation is dual-booted into Windows 2000 (I have
to run certain apps once a month or so), and the sound card works 100% of
the time under Windows.

Any ideas or suggestions?  I'm sorry that this is so vague, but this is
really about all of the information that I have.  Is there anything more I
can look at?
--
Kirk Strauser