Date:      31 Jan 2001 10:39:56 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about arp for wakeonlan

klui@cup.hp.com (Ken Lui) writes:

> I tried searching the mailing lists but came up empty or it's
> quite possible my queries weren't detailed enough.
>
> I'm confused about the usage of arp. I find that I cannot enter
> an entry for a machine outside my subdomain with arp because I
> get errors like:
> cannot intuit interface index and type for xx.yy.zz.ww
>  or
> set: can only proxy for xx.yy.zz.ww
>
> If I enter an entry for a machine on the same local subdomain,
> arp doesn't complain and does create an entry.
>
> What I'm trying to do is to get wake on lan working reliably.
> I find that if the ethernet address information is in the arp
> cache, wake on lan works fine, but if it has expired, I cannot
> get wake on lan to work. So, what can I do to fix my problem?
>
> My two machines are also using different netmasks, too. Perhaps
> this puts a wrinkle on things?

Domains are irrelevant.  ARP works only on local subnets and on shared
broadcast media.  If the machine you want to trigger the wake is on
the local subnet, you can enter an ARP entry for that machine.  If it
isn't, you can enter an entry for the router that will actually be
putting the packets on your local wire.  It *should* be that simple.