Date:      Thu, 24 Sep 1998 23:47:23 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Donn Miller <dmm125@bellatlantic.net>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: reading Sun-formatted diskettes

> On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Mike Smith wrote:
>
> > > The tech-support guy at Sun Microsystems said that maybe my CDROM wasn't
> > > 100% ATAPI/IDE compliant.  Now I'm wondering why Solaris is so picky that
> > > it has to have a CDROM that is 100% IDE compliant, even though
> > > FreeBSD/Linux/Win98 can use the CDROM perfectly well.  It's a BTC 24X max
> > > CDROM.
> >
> > It's a convenient excuse for not fixing their driver.
>
> I figured as much... here I am thinking my hardware is inadaquate.  That
> guy was trying to tell me to replace my CDROM drive.  I just told him it
> works fine on FreeBSD and Linux... He said he was suspicious of that
> "$19.95 special" I was using for a CDROM drive.  ( I don't know how much
> it cost really, but I know Soren used the same brand to test his CDRW
> driver so I figured it couldn't be that bad).

They're a fairly typical Taiwanese unit.  We actually bought the BTC
CD-R for Soren because we were expecting it to represent something at
the worse end of the spectrum, so that he'd have a better chance of
covering some of the to-be-expected defects.  As it turns out, it
behaves better than the HP drive we also sent.

> I thought OH, a drive doesn't work with Sun software so that automatically
> makes it a cheap piece of crap.  Sounds like their cdrom drivers need
> fixing.

To be fair, ATAPI is a disgusting hack and developing ATAPI drivers not
an easy task.  Sun aren't in the same position we are where we can
honestly admit our faults without suffering terrible loss of face -
they have to find some way to transfer the blame or be diminished.

Under these circumstances, you can understand, if not forgive, their
attitude.