Date:      Thu, 10 Jun 1999 14:39:02 +0100
From:      "Bond, Jeffery" <Jeff.Bond@nectech.co.uk>
To:        "'questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "'alan17@his.com'" <alan17@his.com>
Subject:   RE: questions-digest V4 #947

Hi Alan,

You only want to make one partition for FreeBSD. The FreeBSD 'disklabel'
program then 'slices' this single partition up into swap, /, /usr, /home,
etc. This differs from Linux where you make separate partitions for
everything.

Basically, the easy way is to not create ANY partitions for FreeBSD yet, but
just leave some unused space (3 gig or whatever). The FreeBSD intall program
will then let you create the proper partition (just one)  in the space you
left, and then let you slice that up into swap, and filesystems.

Order the 3.2-RELEASE CD by all means. It will save a lot of time
downloading. I find that downloading is only really viable if you have a
permanent connection (i.e. at work), and have access to a CD burner,
especially if you want all the packages. I ordered a 2.2.5 CD from Walnut
Creek ages ago, and they seem very quick and reliable.

Good luck,

Jeff