Date:      Tue, 27 Oct 2009 16:53:20 +0000
From:      Vincent Hoffman <vince@unsane.co.uk>
To:        "Tonix (Antonio Nati)" <tonix@interazioni.it>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Jails creation

Tonix (Antonio Nati) wrote:
> Hi Vincent,
>
> I'm trying as much as possible to not install sources.
> I'm designing a general architecture with very small machines,
> smallest  as possible, as I'd love to avoid sources (both locals and
> remote).

As i said, i'm not a regular user of jails so i may be missing
something, but I rather thought that was my point. Using the ezjails
framework, I didnt need the sources installed. ezjail is a shell script
so it doesnt install anything else (no dependancies.) It installed the
base jail using the binary install packages from a remote FTP server. It
minimises your disk usage afterwards by using nullfs for the base system
in each jail, and it lets you update the base jail using freebsd-update.
I now have 2 jails (basic, just the freebsd base system) using a total
of 140M, each additional jail will start off taking just 1.8M.  Since on
my host system my freebsd-update database alone is 665M I can see this
system as a big win for diskspace not to mention the nice centralized
update for all the jails.

Back to your original question, you dont have to install a jail from
source, I see no reason you couldnt just copy the base system into a
directory and use it as a jail if you wanted.

In fact a very quick test shows that taring up an existing system then
untaring and editing rc.conf and fstab comes up as a working jail.
(working as in network works and i can enter it by running jexec $jailid
sh )

Vince