Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 1999 15:30:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      Anup Talukdar <talukdar@local-motion.rutgers.edu>
To:        freeBSD-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Soundcard problem in Dell laptop

Hi,

	I am trying to use the soundcard in my laptop. I have the
following setup :

	Dell Latitude XPi P133ST laptop with the following
	audio specifications :

		Audio type : Soundblaster Pro-compatible 3.01
		Audio controller : ES1888

		According to the Dell reference guide, the default
		resource settings are :

			DMA channel : 1
			IRQ line : 5
			Port address : 220h

However, if I use Port address 220h for device sb0, the device is not
detected.

If the Kernel configuration file I have include the following
lines :

	controller      snd0

	device sb0      at isa? port 0x230 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr
	device sbxvi0   at isa? drq 5
	device sbmidi0  at isa? port 0x300

After making and installing the new kernel, I get the following messages
when rebooting the machine :

	sb0 at 0x230 irq 5 drq 1 on isa
	sb0: <Soundblaster Pro 3.1>
	sbxvi0 not found
	sbmidi0 not found at 0x300

After this, I tried to play an audio file by executing :

 "cat danube.au > /dev/audio"

It returns the following error messages :

>Sound: DMA timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?
>SoundBlaster: DSP Command(40) Timeout.
>IRQ conflict???

It will be of great help if anyone can inform what I am doing wrong here
and what will be the apprpriate IRQ/DRQ settings for the above
configuration.

Since I don't subscribe to this mailing list, I will appreciate
if the responses are sent directly to my e-mail address :

	talukdar@paul.rutgers.edu

Thank you,
Regards,
Anup