Date:      Wed, 11 Apr 2001 11:38:11 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "G D McKee" <freebsd@gdmckee.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compiling FTPD

G D McKee <freebsd@gdmckee.com> types:
> How can I compile the new FTPD files without doing a lengthy makeworld?

By keeping the original source tree, and using the patches the
security officer usually supplies for such. I'm not sure if they were
supplied in this case.

> I have been into the /usr/src/libexec/ftpd dir and tried to do a make and
> make install but I get lots of errors.

Did you update your source tree? If so, you may well be getting errors
because the sources depend on tools that you haven't installed yet.

> Does anyone have any ideas?

If you're just avoiding the time to do the build, give up. Go ahead
and do the tango to update they system. If you really don't want to
update the system, you can do "make buildworld", then try doing "make
install" for ftpd, and if that works try the installed ftpd to see if
it works.

	<mike