Date:      Fri, 25 May 2001 16:17:35 +0200
From:      Bernd Luevelsmeyer <bdluevel@heitec.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   make index, make readmes

Hi,

after upgrading to -Stable I wanted to re-create the ports' INDEX file
and all the README.html . So I went into /usr/ports and issued
  make index
  make readmes

Both didn't work properly, make readmes went to
  ===> graphics
  ===>  Creating README.html
  cd: can't cd to shot2png
  cd: can't cd to shot2png
and then it sat there, doing nothing. I found that shot2png is in
graphics/Makefile but doesn't actually exist, that will be the reason
but why didn't the make end somehow, with or without error?

make index complained a lot about non-existing ports
("/usr/ports/math/numpy non-existent -- dependency list incomplete" is
an example), and then it had a lot of missing entries, such as
"make_index: no entry for: /usr/ports/x11/XFree86". It did create an
INDEX, though.

Is this behaviour to be expected, because the Makefiles aren't up to
date all the time, or is my ports tree messed up? Should I do something
about it, or just wait until another "make update" corrects the
situation?

Thanks,
	Bernd