Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 2004 21:48:30 +0000
From:      "Andre Nell" <provo1234@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   GNOME freezes  (GNOME Settings Deamon Error!)

Hi

Environment: Redhat Enterprise Linux ES - Version 3
Kernel: 2.4.20-21.ELsmp

I get these error messages after I type in the username and password to
start GNOME. The screen freezes and GNOME does not load!

"There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon. Somethings like
themes, sounds, and background settings may not work properly. Settings
Daemon restarted too many times. GNOME will restart the Settings Daemon next
time you log in".

"Nautilus can't be used now due to an unexpected error".

"Problem registering the panel with the bonobo-activation server".

I've read on redhat's website that deleting the
gconf-(username)
orbit-(username)
directories in the /tmp folder would solve the problem.

The following gnome packages are installed on my machine
gnome-user-docs-2.0.1-3
gnome-mime-data-2.4.0-2
gnome-system-monitor-2.4.0-1
gnome-media-2.4.0-2