Date:      Sun, 29 Mar 1998 22:09:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        George Vagner <kf7nn@mutsgo.dyn.ml.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: APM support

On Mon, 23 Mar 1998, George Vagner wrote:

> if i enable APM in the boot -c prompt i start getting these
> messages when the disks are spun down and there is an access to the drive.
> drive wd0 is a Maxtor 85120a6 5.1 GIG  wd2 is a WD22100 2.1 GIG Both IDE.
>

> Mar 22 23:25:07 mutsgo /kernel: wd0: interrupt timeout:
> Mar 22 23:25:07 mutsgo /kernel: wd0: status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq> error 0
> Mar 22 23:40:16 mutsgo /kernel: wd0: interrupt timeout:
> Mar 22 23:40:16 mutsgo /kernel: wd0: status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq> error 1<no_dam>
>
> I would like to have the disks spin down during periods of inactivity
> but hate these messages popping up on the console.
>
> what can I do?

Live with it; they're harmless.  FreeBSD doesn't expect the drives to go
out to lunch.  The IDE controller doesn't signal the host when they're
spinning up, assuming a Windoze universe where the system will just block
waiting for the disks to come ready.

> Another question, How do i properly clear the logs, i read somewhere
> that just deleteing them wont do it and can be BAD..

You have to recreate the file then HUP syslogd.  Let your machines run
over Friday night and the logs will be turned automatically by the cron
task that runs /etc/weekly, or on newer systems, newsyslog will roll the
logs for you.