Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 2003 17:28:24 +0000
From:      Bruce M Simpson <bms@FreeBSD.org>
To:        consume-thenet@lists.consume.net
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Under wraps -- FreeBSD signal quality monitoring

--/04w6evG8XlLl3ft

I'm working on a hack right now. Today I added SNMP agent support to
a very slim tool called trafd, which can be used to keep statistics
on host-host traffic.

With the Radiotap stuff I've committed to the new tcpdump port this week,
it isn't too much of a stretch to extend support to trafd.  The idea is
that radiotap could be used to provide a means of collecting signal quality
statistics, per-node, on a FreeBSD host, with SNMP agent support. (*)

This will allow node builders to use the many excellent tools out there
based on MRTG and RRDTOOL, such as Cricket, to provide network monitoring
and time-series graphs. Pretty essential if you're planning a wide
community network rollout.

I'm getting pretty close to a working prototype. I'll post details here
when I have something people can run and play with.

BMS

(*) I'm aware of the fact that the Atheros code keeps various RSSI stats
inside. I'll be looking to push some of the housekeeping back into the
kernel so that hacks such as trafd aren't needed, and the SNMP agent
component would shrink as a result.

--/04w6evG8XlLl3ft

--/04w6evG8XlLl3ft--