Date:      Sun, 13 Oct 2002 19:45:08 +0100 (BST)
From:      Sander Vesik <Sander.Vesik@Sun.COM>
To:        "Kevin B. Hendricks" <kevin.hendricks@sympatico.ca>
Cc:        dev@porting.openoffice.org, Martin Blapp <mb@imp.ch>, openoffice@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [porting-dev] Re: FreeBSD: mozilla datasource does not work

On Sun, 13 Oct 2002, Kevin B. Hendricks wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would be glad to add them but they will only work if the person who
> checks them out has the same gcc version (for the same the C++ abi) as the
> version that was checked in.
>
> So LinuxPPC would need to add versions for gcc 2.95.X, gcc 3.1.1, and gcc
> 3.2 and even then there would be no guarantee that they would not need a
> specific version of libgcc_so.1 and or libstdc++.so.X.Y.Z
>
> So right now on ppc linux, YellowDog would need one set, SuSE another, and
> still a third for their upcoming releases.
>
> Perhaps we should only pick one specific gcc version to support for each
> platform:
>
> linux - gcc 3.2.1 and glibc 2.3 since that is what everyone is moving to

Is teher a need to use glibc 2.3 ? Unless soome radical changes happened
(in which case it should really be called 3.0) a version compiled/linked
against 2.1 should work on a 2.3 based system. If these were linked
against the compilers libstdc++ (i think i know the cause why it presently
might be an old libstdc++ version) then it would supposedly "just work"
and eliminate an axis of difference we might otherwise have.

> irix - gcc 2.95.X
> freebsd - gcc 3.2.1
> MacOSX - gcc 3.1 (or we could pick gcc 2.95.X) depending on if we are
> looking forward or backward

Yes, these are the largely simple cases of one known compiler we want to
use.

> etc.
>
> I just don't know the correct solution.  Either way, without lots of moz
> zip files lying around we can not guarantee buildability under linux for
> gcc 2.95.X, 2.96, 3.0.4, gcc 3.1.X, and gcc 3.2.X which all seem to have
> differnt abi's when it comes to C++ code.

I think we just need to make a pick - as we don't have a 2.96 bridge we
obviously wouldn't include 2.96, for example. Would there be any actualy
benefit from including 3.1.x version if everybody is moving to 3.2.x ?
Also there is an additional hurdle in that the 1.0.x series needs tobe
compatible so 1.0x on linux/x86 needs to remain using 3.0.x as the default
compiler.

Its a pity the '3.x.y will have a stable ABI' thing turned out to be thin
air 8-(

> Ideas anyone.
>
> Kevin

	Sander