Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 1996 19:47:24 -0800
From:      Paul Traina <pst@shockwave.com>
To:        Tony Kimball <alk@Think.COM>
Cc:        current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: perl4

  From: Tony Kimball <alk@Think.COM>
  Subject: perl4

     I don't think this is a good argument:
     - - you already have perl in /usr/bin  AND  in /usr/local/bin!

  So remove them both from the base distribution.  p4 can be made a
  package at zero-maintenance cost.  How much breaks, and how hard is
  it to fix?

  ./bin/makewhatis: a /usr/bin/perl script text
  ./bin/catman: a /usr/bin/perl script text
  ./bin/killall: a /usr/bin/perl script text
  ./bin/sgmlfmt: a /usr/bin/perl script text
  ./bin/which: a /usr/bin/perl script text
  ./sbin/adduser: a /usr/bin/perl script text
  ./sbin/kbdmap: a /usr/bin/perl script text
  ./sbin/vidfont: a /usr/bin/perl script text
  ./sbin/spkrtest: a /usr/bin/perl script text

  Not much.  Eliminate it, and that reduces the installed base OS size
  by 4MB, meaning more installations, more market share, better
  differentiation from bloated commercial systems.

  If I write C versions of these scripts, will that suffice
  to break perl off into a package?

Hear hear!  This is a good thing(TM)!  By the way, which is inherantly
broken when executed as any sort of script.  It needs to be a shell builtin
or it needs to die.

Paul