Date:      Wed, 11 Feb 2004 06:00:56 -0800
From:      "Loren M. Lang" <lorenl@alzatex.com>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD has Two Firewalls?

--OBd5C1Lgu00Gd/Tn

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 08:43:26AM -0500, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> "Loren M. Lang" <lorenl@alzatex.com> writes:
>=20
> > I'm trying to learn how to configure my firewall on FreeBSD and there
> > seems to be quite a few commands related to it.  It looks like, though,
> > that FreeBSD has two different implentations of firewalls.  One uses
> > ipfw to configure it and has natd for nat, the other uses ipf and has
> > ipmon, ipnat, ipfs for controlling it.  Is this true?
>=20
> Pretty much.
>=20
> There are some more firewall implementations in the ports, as well.

It looks like ipfilter is a newer and more improved over ipfw, but I'm
not sure.  I'm looking for a good firewall with similar functionality to
linux's netfilter.  Previously I was doing some somewhat sophisticated
things like disabling or limiting internet access for certain indivuals
depending on the time of day, as well as using connection helpers for
ftp, irc, etc.  What's the best firewall to use for this?

>=20
> > Where are some good references for learning the packet filter on
> > FreeBSD?
>=20
> The FreeBSD Handbook and the manual are usually plenty.

--=20
I sense much NT in you.
NT leads to Bluescreen.
Bluescreen leads to downtime.
Downtime leads to suffering.
NT is the path to the darkside.
Powerful Unix is.

Fingerprint: B3B9 D669 69C9 09EC 1BCD  835A FAF3 7A46 E4A3 280C
=20

--OBd5C1Lgu00Gd/Tn

--OBd5C1Lgu00Gd/Tn--