Date:      Mon, 11 May 2020 16:26:45 -0500
From:      Valeri Galtsev <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to mount mdf mds in freebsd?

On 5/11/20 3:30 PM, Jon Radel wrote:
> On 5/11/20 16:11, Per Hedeland wrote:
>>> PS.
>>>
>>> Please be so kind and state your question in the message body.
>>> Many recipients won't see your empty message because it's being
>>> filtered. Thank you!
>> +1 (but it will surely be ignored, again).
>
> Are we sure the OP doesn't have some MUA that believes in HTML *only*--I
> believe the list only forwards the plain text variant of the message in
> cases of multipart MIME, and I can see unfortunate email being stripped
> down to nothing.
>
> Nikita's headers claim

> about which I know nothing useful.

I remember first time (decades ago!) when I subscribed for technical
mail list, I read very carefully mail list etiquette. I didn't find
exactly the same document, but this one covers some of it:

It sounds like OP never cared to read one of these, and doesn't care to
listen to what he was told multiple times.

I can't keep from mentioning: there is one item I partly disagree with
the above document on: trimming. I actually have seen several times
"creative trimming", which pretty much inverted what person whose text
was partly trimmed actually said.

The Etiquette document I've read contained variety of suggestions that
are not in the document I mentioned above, which make really valid
points. Just few of them:

1. do your own home work before asking question, you may not need bother
busy people and will learn to find solution yourself which in itself is
gratifying

2. When asking question, be concise, yet describe what you tried that
didn't solve it (incidentally attempting to describe what you have done
often enlightens you on other possibilities). By describing what you
have done you demonstrate that you tried to do something, not just want
someone else do what you need done.

3. Do not send bogus answers, like: "OK, will try". Just hold yourself,
try, and then report success or failure.

[last but one - my favorite failure, actually] Before sending message,
take short break, switch to doing different thing, then re-read your
message with fresh eyes, edit and send.

[last]. Once problem was solved, take time to summarize what the problem
was and how it was solved (and maybe what was tried that didn't work).
Send summary, maybe by prepending subject with SOLVED. Note, experts (my
way of calling people who help me, because they are!) spent time helping
you, help them to avoid wasting time again on the same problem by
briefly describing the solution that others will be able to find (you
owe experts at least that, and now you started helping others!)

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago